Monday, February 25, 2013

A Finished Quilt and a donation quilt block and some WINS

Last week's mail included an Accuquilt GO! Baby Die Cutting machine.  I have the GO! full size, so this will be fun.  I won it on the Friday Facebook Fan contest.  I also got an order from Fabrics N Quilts, which was so pretty, and the box included one of the prizes from SuperSewing Twitter party that Shannon sponsored on Superbowl Sunday.  FUN!  And I was notified that I won a ruler and pattern from World Quilting Day's contest.  There are about 3 more weeks for that, so I do suggest you locate the page on Facebook, and follow their daily blog.

On to the Block.  Victoria from Bumble Beans asked for an Anvil block with a blue background for a quilt.  A man who works in her daughter's school will be undergoing cancer treatments.  I made this block, and hope it's added to the quilt.  I used the sailboat fabric in the center, because I wanted him to think better days were coming, and that he's not alone in this fight.  I hope the knots and ropes are a reminder that he needs to hang on, and that we are all pulling for him.  I hope it's a little thing that keeps him fighting.  Victoria said he's great with the kids.  Since I'm a teacher at heart, anyone who works hard for kids deserves a little support when fighting a battle like cancer. 

Now to the quilt finish.  Last year, I found a great sale on Fat Quarters.  Those are half yard cuts of fabric, cut in half along the fold, so they measure 18" by 22", instead of a normal 1/4 of a yard, which measures 9" by 44".   Sometimes a bundle comes that has unusual fabrics in it.  I wanted to do a black, white and red quilt, in a lap size, but I didn't plan on it being an I Spy theme.  Many of the pieces I got were more novelty prints, rather than my traditional florals.  I decided to play!  I finished the top a few months ago, and it sat waiting for quilting inspiration to strike. 

So, can you find the horseshoes?  Coffee cups and coffee pot?  Little birds?  Butterflies?  Lighthouses?  There are some really fun prints in here, in shades of red, cream, white, grey and black.  I pieced it with Aurifil 50wt, and quilted it with 28wt black, grey and white variegated, also from Aurifil.  I used 50wt in the bobbin for quilting.  The design is my interpretation of a design I saw for long-armers.  Sort of a feather, sort of a wing,  Just funky enough to play with the fun fabrics.  I used an S shape for the borders, which kind of reminds me of those Stella Doro cookies, and did a complimentary design in the corners.  This was FUN!  I played.  I enjoyed it.  It's DONE!! 

The backing is a white tone on tone.  Binding is a grey/black floral.  It's listed for sale in my Etsy shop. 
This week's projects will include some alterations on dance school dresses, and the Aurifil block of the month, and quilting the blue and yellow quilt from last week!  Thanks for visiting!

No comments: