I'm so excited about this finish. First, some background. I've been sewing for almost my whole life. I've made tons of things, including a number of "quillow" pillow quilts. I had used pillow panels and coordinating fabrics, and made tons of these for friends in the 1990's. My son loved snuggling with his when he was little, and his favorite thing was to put his feet in the pillow pocket. I think over the years I had made him 2 or 3, because he wore them out. Yup, it was before I knew about cotton batting, and free-motion quilting. It was a craft item, and I was making dresses and doing alterations. I had only quilted down the lines with the edge of the pillow pocket, so 2 lines in a 45" width. I don't think I have any photos, but it is fun to remember all the ones I made.
About 3 years ago, after making many real quilts, including one for his bed, I asked my son if he wanted a lap quilt. I had a beautiful pack of Island Batik strips in blues and greens. I had been making the Quilt In A Day Zig A Zag quilt, and knew these strips would be beautiful in it. He agreed, so I purchased fabric for the setting triangles, border, and binding. I had the green for the inner border from Island Batik. I started the quilt, and then it was put aside for other projects. I needed more stock for my store. I got a special order, and then more. I was doing costumes for a high school. I moved. You get the picture.
So, my goal before September was to get this top done, so I could give it to him for Christmas. I finished the top, added the borders, and got it pinned. Then my machine broke. The support for the needle arm was loose, and would require ordering a new head, which basically would cost more than the machine was worth. I know I'm tough on my machines. I ended up trading for the same model, but rarely used. I love Pocono Sew & Vac. I'll take the 2+ hour trip for the best machine prices and support!
Then Matt said he was unable to come for Christmas, and I also had the Island Batik quilt to design, and finish to send to be included in their Spring catalog, and to write the pattern. Quilting this was set aside again. Until this week. Matt was coming down to visit this weekend, so I wanted this done.
Finally! It's done!
Matt loves it!
I added a label to the pocket for his feet. This was quilted with an all over loopy design, with a feather variation in the border. I used Aurifil 50wt thread in a beautiful dark teal. I used about 7 bobbins in the quilting and binding. It's long enough for him to really snuggle, with his 6'4" length, and he's thrilled with the pocket for his feet.
While I was finishing his quilt, Matt built the #Arrowsewingcabinet I had won last May. I can't wait to get it filled with things! It's perfect for the side of my table, and I've put a rotating cutting mat on top, and can just turn to the side to trim blocks. I had put the mat next to my machine, but it wasn't the best place to keep it. This will be awesome!
This is my January #APQResolution. I knew January was #6, so I wrote this quilt on that line. It needed quilting, the pocket, label, and binding. I need to finish my list, but hope to get many UFOs done this year.
Now, back to making something for my shop, and memory bears for some family members. And the donation quilt. And...
Thanks for visiting!