Friday, April 22, 2022

Finished a UFO

 Hi.  I know, 2 posts in a short amount of time, but I wanted to document both finishes separately.  

I finished the Funky Friends Factory Belinda Butterfly and also this wall hanging, which was from the Island Batik Ambassador Mini Love challenge from 2018.  At first, I didn't remember when it was made or if I used a pattern, but I searched my photos and blog for the original post.  

I made it using a variety of Island Batik fabrics and a pattern by Studio 180 Designs for the book by Marie Bostwick, The Promise Girls.  More details are on that blog post.  

I had pin basted the top to backing a long time ago.  And it sat in a pile of things to be quilted since then.  I wasn't sure how I wanted to quilt it, and was using my domestic at the time, so I set it aside.  

Evening Star Quilt Guild is doing an exhibit at the Hillside Public Library April 30-May 6, and requested quilts that were under 48" wide.  My friend Karen is coordinating it, and I showed her a few of my finished quilts that were smaller, and this one, which still needed quilting and binding.  She picked this one and the blue and orange modern quilt for the exhibit, so I needed to get this one done.  

Because I wanted to use the Raindrops in Water pantograph, I needed to unpin the top and find a slightly larger backing.  I had a piece of cream cotton sateen wide back left from another quilt that was perfect, so I loaded it, and used Aurifil 40-3 in 4653, a pale green and yellow variegated thread.  

I was planning to use the darker green with dots for the binding, but couldn't find it, so used a pale green/yellow striped fabric for binding.  And it's done!  Label, hanging sleeve, hand sewn, done and ready to exhibit in the library, and to list for sale in my shop.  It's called Turtle Bay because the blocks are based on the Storm at Sea quilt, and the turtle print is in the border and fussy cut in the squares.  The royal blue has waves and the other fabric has a coral reef type tjap.  Turtle Bay finished about 28" square. 

I also finished this one, which was quilted last year and just needed binding.  

This Churndash was part of the Aurifil designer of the month mini challenge from a few years ago, and I used Clamshell with a Curl panto.  Again, all of the fabrics are Island Batik.  

I have another I would like to get done.  Hopefully this week, and you'll see another blog post.  
Thanks so much for reading! 

No comments: