I got a nifty Singer 15-91 in a rare Trapezoid cabinet (also called Spinet). I decided to take the machine in to be rewired by Pocono Sew & Vac, my favorite machine dealer, and I would refinish the cabinet, because it was in really bad shape, but hopefully would look good when I finished. I want a machine I can have available just for piecing, with a good 1/4" seam allowance, plus good straight stitches. I do almost everything else on my Viking, but sometimes it's set for quilting, and I want to just piece. It's a different use of my brain and energy, and I need to be able to do both tasks. So, enter $30 garage sale find.
See my previous post on the stripping part. After I posted that, I realized I would also need to strip the bottom of the flip top. So, I got out the chemical again, and went to work. Then it got colder, just a bit too cold to work outside for a few hours. Today it was in the 50s, so I decided to spend about 2 hours on this project. I got the machine back last week, so I want to get it back in the cabinet!
I've also been thinking about this, and how I want this to look. Since parts of the actual cabinet had a very shiny, thick, finish, I wanted the refinished cabinet to also have a thick shiny finish. I went back to Home Depot and picked up a can of Polyurethane Gloss, thinking I would use it over the stain/finish I had already done.
BUT, after 2 coats of the all in one, I remembered why I didn't like using that product. It's very difficult to get a pretty, even, smooth finish with that. The last restore I did, I used a stain and then semi-gloss clear coat, and I liked how that looked much better! So, today, I sanded down the stripped bottom, and sanded down the coats of all in one I used. I had a can of just stain, although it was darker than what I had intended on using. After applying it, I used paper towel to remove it, and now I love the color! It shows off the wood grain beautifully, so after the coats of clear gloss, it should be exactly what I was hoping for.
Here's the photos from today.
Side 2 after stripping and sanding.
Side 2 after the regular stain. I worked a little more after the picture was taken to make it more evenly colored.
Side 1 after sanding off most of 2 coats of all-in-one finish. I used just the stain on this side, too, to make the color