Liz had asked me to finish one of Leona's quilts for her (see this post.) I have another, plus more scraps, and 3 more quilts to finish. I'll share those later, but today I worked on the machine. It's the first nice day in a while, and I wanted to put the final coats of polyurethane on the top of the Trapezoid case, and this cabinet is currently in the garage. Since machines are sensitive to the cold, I wanted to get this in the house to work on it.
In the meantime, I got the machine out of the cabinet, and worked on her for a bit, as well.
My favorite part?? The decals are really pretty, and in good shape. Look at the center part!!
I LOVE the bird, and the filligree style edge. It's very pretty. So, part of the clean up involves getting the tape off, and removing the residual glue. I tried a mixture of vinegar and baking soda, and used the resulting paste to scrub the glue off. I'm soaking the remaining tape in sewing machine oil, and will work on it again later. After I get the machine cleaned, I'll take it in to Pocono Sew & Vac for them to clean and check the mechanical parts, and I need to locate a bobbin case and bobbins. I may have one, so I'll need to check my supply drawer, and if it needs the Class 15 Bobbins, I already have quite a few. I did take the needle plate off, and removed quite a bit of very old lint. I'll show more progress later, but that lighter section of residual glue above the bird is gone, as is most of the tape.
So, check back in a few weeks to see how Leona's doing. I'm hoping she'll be happy here. My Minnesota treadle is the oldest machine I have. Leona is next, then the Featherweight, and the New Westinghouse and the 15-91 in the Trapezoid cabinet. I didn't intentionally start out building a collection of vintage machines, but I'm really having fun with them.
She is going to be a beauty once you clean her up!
That's a beauty of a machine! I can't wait to see the cabinet finished!
Post a Comment