I picked a piece of 1x6 by 6ft board at Home Depot, and had them cut it into 3 equal pieces (2ft each). I also got a piece of quarter round the same length. Although I could have cut them (I do have an 8" circular saw) I just figured it would be easier and faster if they did. I sanded all the edges, and got screws to attach the pieces. I also got finish nails, 3 1/4" long, to hold the spools. Total cost was less than $20, and it holds more than 120 large spools, and more than 40 smaller ones.
When Dad and I designed this, I wanted something that would hang on the wall, and hold the spools up at an angle (so they wouldn't fall off, and the bobbins wouldn't get lost). He angled the boards by creating a stair-step design. The boards overlap by just about 3/4", and I glued and screwed them together. I put the 1/4 round piece under the bottom edge, to help hold the design in the angle on the wall.
Then I figured the spacing. I wanted to fit Aurifil spools, so I measured. The nails needed to be about 1 1/2" apart. I drew pencil marks for placement lines. I nailed in the rows of nails, and realized I could do a 4th line, if I offset the nails in that row.If I put the bobbin on the nail first, I can store both. I tried putting the bobbin on top on the old rack and would knock it off when I tried taking off a spool above. I decided to be smart, put the bobbin on first, and not have bouncing bobbins, lol.
I had picked up some Nichole craft paint from ACMoore a few months ago, and decided to use it on this project. I don't recommend the paint. I had to do 3 coats, and it's still streaky. I mixed the white with lavender to get the 3 shades. It was tricky to mix the same shades again, when I realized it was so thin and I needed to paint it again. I'll try other brands next time. It's not a bargain when you have to use more to get something painted.
I had decided I wanted to make it look stitched, quilted, and used a small brush to paint feathers and swirls. That was fun to do! I wanted each shade to have a different design, and used white on the 2 lighter colors, and mixed in more purple for the darker one (I didn't want the pure white to be too obvious). I then finished it with a clear acrylic sealer spray in gloss finish.
My brother John helped me get it screwed into the wall studs behind my machine today. I'm so happy with this, the colors, and the placement. I'll be able to see my threads easily, and know when I need to replace a color. I do have 3 of the designer 12 packs from Aurifil, and those will stay in the cases.
The walls are painted a light grey, which is supposed to help me photograph fabrics closer to natural shades. It helps to reflect back natural light. My machine sits on a custom built counter that fits that wall space, and curves to the left. I'll have lots of room for pushing big quilts around, plus there's room for my serger. When I need to use it, I can just rotate it off the edge of the desk, and bring it to the curve in front. I'll share more when I get more of my studio set up, and this all cleaned.
We took a road trip last week, and had a picnic in the Allentown Rose Garden. It was a gorgeous day for a drive, and although many of the flowers were spent, there were still some gorgeous blooms. This is one I loved.
I'm so glad to finally have this rack installed. I need to find the box of threads, now. These were in my tool box, but I have a lot more. I need to make the ribbon holder next, and then maybe figure out how to store the cones from the serger, and the larger quilting threads. I never liked the ones with the dowels. Either they break or they fall out. Nails hold better, but I'm going to have to come up with a plan for that rack.
Thanks for visiting, and if you make a thread rack, let me know. If you want me to make one for you, let me know, too! I would gladly do more. I've also given the plans to Jeremy from Dietrick Woodworking. He can do a much better job than I did. He also built my quilt display rack for shows, and a great ruler holder. Look at that site to see photos of them.