This is my second Try It this month! I do like trying something new, and learning, and making. I've had this idea for a while, though. If you read my last posts, you know I won a prize on Wheel of Fortune from their Secret Santa give-away last December, and purchased a Handiquilter Amara, now known as Vanna, with the money. I've won lots of little prizes, too. I would enter almost any give-away, and have won quite a bit of fabric, patterns, magazines, buttons, quilt kits and a Fatquarter Gypsy Pop Up package, featuring 3 sizes of springs, and a pattern. I've been wanting to TRY making one for a while.
I must have won a second give-away for a Pop Up, as well, because I discovered I had 2 medium size springs, and a pattern for a decorated outside. I decided to make one, to help organize the tools and accessories for Vanna. I don't often get time to just do something for me, so I grabbed an hour and a half this afternoon to sew, taking advantage of Mom being calm and comfortable watching TV. That's rare, too. Evenings are difficult with Sundowning. I needed to do something other than foundation pieced blocks, for a change.
I couldn't decide on one particular fabric I wanted to cut up, so I grabbed an assortment of scraps Island Batik had sent in one of my orders from them (I do sell some fabrics and pre-cuts in my Etsy shop, free shipping). I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but this rainbow of colors seemed to be a good start. I pulled some of my favorites, the purples, aqua, pinks and reds and sewed it together. Each strip was about 3" wide by 20" long. I think they are left from cutting 10" squares in the factory. Not sure, but the size, and even edges when I got them seemed to suggest that.
I needed a piece that was 9 1/2 by 26", so once I got about 14" wide, I cut it in half, sewed the 2 sections together, and added the interfacing (I used Pellon Shirtailor), as the package directs, and trimmed to the right size. I used a purple fabric from making a Funky Friend animal, that had a large enough scrap, and got the bottom circles and the lining and ties cut. The tricky part was finishing it with the metal spring inside. I took the large table off my machine and used the Free Arm option. It was really easy hem the top edge with Clover Wonder Clips. I'm so glad I have some! The directions for making it are good, and it's pretty fast. Check out the link above and see the cute versions they have, too.
You can flatten this for travel or storage. The ties will hold it to about an inch high.
It's colorful and fun! No quilting required, but you probably could add quilting and batting if you wanted. The bottom outside is the same as the lining, because I had enough fabric. I didn't want to make a pieced bottom.
Mom's Hollyhocks and roses are so pretty!
I'm not sure if I will use it like this yet. The smaller clips of Red Snappers are in there, and a few scraps of batting for cleaning the track and wheels, and the lint roller for getting those last stray threads off the top, backing and batting before quilting. I do need a thread and scrap bucket, and since this has ties, I may just end up using it for that, tying it around the edge of the table. Or I may make something smaller for that. You can see I put a Wheel of Fortune logo on the side of Vanna. It's a photo I printed off and used Command strips to attach it to the machine. I am trying to figure out how to make a "cling" type thing with Vanna on it. I don't want a decal that may be permanent. If you have suggestions, let me know. I've looked at a few options, but don't want to have to use water on the side of the machine.
In the meantime, thanks so much for stopping by. You know I'll have more Island Batik to share soon. There's a Quilt of Valor blog hop, plus another patriotic I'm working on, and then July's challenge uses Aurifil thread. And the other Island Batik Ambassador have been sharing wonderfully creative things. Check them out! You can find links on the Island Batik Facebook page.