For October, the Island Batik Ambassadors were sent the North Carolina Star die for our Acccuquilt GO! Cutters, and asked to make something featuring the die, or parts of it.
The North Carolina block may look complicated, and have over 50 pieces in 12" square finished, but with the die, a BOB block on board, it's actually much easier than you would think, and so much easier than trying to figure the angles, and use Y seams. But the units are also able to be used in other designs. The small quarter square triangles (E on the board) measure 2 1/2" unfinished, when sewn. The triangles (the brighter orange and green going towards the corners (B on the board) are 3 1/2" tall, so you could also just make rows in a quilt. They do sew in a straight line if you do it correctly, and the cream units (C on the die) can be used to straighten the rows. C and D will make a 2 1/2 by 4 1/2" unfinished Triangle in a Rectangle. But that's for another project.
My first idea was to see if the North Carolina star was the same in EQ8, but I ended up drawing it. Then I played with color placement. I usually do this with just colors, not using fabrics, so I can get a feel before I pull fabrics. As I played, I thought the triangles could look like flowers petals. I thought of the blue Sunflower tjap fabric I had left from another project a few years ago, and sold a bolt in my Etsy shop. I had about 3/4 yard left.
Next step was to search the piles of Island Batik fabrics to see what colors I have that might work for sunflowers. I have 1/2 yard Foumndation pieces from Ambassador boxes, and a number of scraps, so I grabbed a few yellows, a great green from the Royal Crown collection, and some basics for the brown and the cream, and scraps for the outer blue triangles. I counted up how many of each shape I would need for 3 blocks, and made a list so I would cut all the pieces. Layer
up to 6 pieces of fabric and roll them through, and sort them according to the shape. It's pretty fast to get them all cut.
Sewing the blocks was easy, because Accuquilt trims the dog ears and makes lining up the edges easier. I chain piece them for efficiency and speed. I had 3 blocks done in just a few hours, but then again, there are over 50 pieces in each block. Lots of pressing followed. I love using my Alpaca wool pressing mat, and some wood clappers my friend made for me, which makes the places with lots of points and seams meeting flat. Aurifil thread helps with that, as well. I always use Aurifil 50wt for piecing, and a new Schmetz size 12 Microtex needle.
Once the blocks were done, I searched agin for something for the sashing and cornerstones, and setting triangles, and added the border to frame it all. It measures 24 by 64", a very generous table runner size, or could be a bed runner for a twin or full bed. I found some scraps of backing and batting and loaded it on my Handi-Quilter Amara with Pro-Stitcher and picked the Joyful pantograph.
Before quilting. Kinda flat looking.
During quilting, starting to show the texture. I used Aurifil 40-3 in Chalk for quilting.
There was a little space on the backing, so I got a scrap of batting and quilted this block. It'll become a mug rug after it's bound, but the Island Batik fabrics from a few years ago are so pretty. I have no idea why I made it, but now it's going to be something else.
Back to the North Carolina Sunflowers.
I did a quick trim and took a few photos while I still had sunlight, but couldn't go up to the studio to finish the binding because I had to give out candy to the trick-or-treaters.
I think this is really cute, and very happy and bright. It would be a fun table accent during the summer and early Fall, when sunflowers are at their peak.
Have you checked out the other Ambassador projects for this month's challenge?
And for November, we're doing By Annie bags, and a blog hop, so you'll get to see some great projects and get a chance to win fabric. Check Island Batik for the schedule and to win.
This should have custom quilting, so as soon as I have some extra time, without customer quilts, I'll get to this. First I need to make a bag! November is the blog hop for By Annie bags! Check Island Batik for the schedule and to win.
Another (actually finished) thing this month was the Pieceful Patcher's President's Challenge, using our birth month flowers in a quilt. I opted to use an embroidery design from Embroidery Library called Sweet Pea, and made a topper. The fabrics are all Island Batik, and the threads are all Aurifil. It's so pretty!
And this post is delayed because my internet went out on Monday. I didn't get a chance to finish the editing and add the last photos until Thursday. Wacky week, after wacky month.
Thanks for stopping by, and please check out the bag hop!